This page describes how to use Google Earth with OziExplorer.
The use of Google Earth within OziExplorer can be considered experimental at this stage. Sometimes the screen may not redraw correctly or not refresh at all, and images of dialogs may be left on the screen, pressing the Redraw button on the Google Earth Control will correct this. OziExplorer objects (waypoints, map features etc) may not plot in the exact position expected or may move around slightly, we will try to fix this. OziExplorer communicates with the Google Earth software to manipulate the map display.
Sometimes the Google Earth software cannot expand its window size to match the size of the OziExplorer window so grey areas will be seen on the edge of the map window. Turning off any panels on the left of the map window in Google Earth can help.
You need an internet connection to download and use Google Earth.
You need to download and install Google Earth from here.
IMPORTANT - this must be done before using Google Earth maps in OziExplorer.
- Run Google Earth
- On the Tools menu select the Options item to show the Options Dialog.
- In the Graphics Mode section change the Graphics Mode to DirectX.
- If this is not done OziExplorer will not work correctly with Google Earth.
You also need to download the Google Maps.map file (see below).
You must be using OziExplorer release version 3.95.5b. Check the "Help / About" option in OziExplorer to see what version you are currently running.
The OziExplorer development version does not yet work with Google Earth but will in the future.
- Prior to purchasing OziExplorer, Google Earth maps can be used in the OziExplorer Trial version (not the Shareware Demo).
- Do not close Google Earth while GE maps are being used in OziExplorer.
- Do not swap manually to the Google Earth program, use the button on the Google Earth Control to do this.
- OziExplorer will run Google Earth when the Google Earth map file is loaded, it is not necessary for the user to run Google Earth.
OziExplorer .map file download
*** You need to download the Google Earth .map file ***
Download self installing setup file - download map file here
Run the downloaded setup file to install the map. It is installed in the Internet Maps folder (under the Maps folder).
Open the "Google Earth.map" map file in OziExplorer in the usual way.
Do not try to recalibrate the map or change the map border, there is no need they are fixed in the software.
Using Google Earth with OziExplorer
First you need to open the "Google Earth.map" file in the usual way (Load Menu / Load Map File)
Google Earth maps can be used in OziExplorer in 3 ways -
- OziExplorer mode - Google Earth maps window controlled by OziExplorer
- Google Earth mode - Google Earth running inside OziExplorer
- Activate Google Earth - Google Earth running outside of OziExplorer
Use the button on the Google Earth Control to switch between modes.
- Most of the usual OziExplorer functions are available in this mode.
- Saving of the map is NOT possible.
- The mode will be switched from Google Earth to OziExplorer if any OziExplorer menu or toolbar functions are performed.
- Working with waypoints, routes and tracks is done in OziExplorer mode.
- Zooming out (wide view) has a limit. Switching to this mode from Google Earth mode showing a wide view (such as a continental map), the map will be zoomed in to this limit.
Note: if the Navigation Controls are turned on in Google Earth, the controls will be seen on the map but are NOT active in OziExplorer Mode. To use the Google Earth Navigation Control, switch to Google Earth mode.
Google Earth mode
- Some of the Google Earth functions are available in this mode.
- OziExplorer functions are not available in this mode.
- The Google Earth Navigation Controls will be active and this may be the best method of zooming and moving around the Google map.
- Popup windows from Google Earth map features are ok.
Links from Google Earth map features may result in an embedded browser in a split window in Google Earth. If this occurs, Activate Google Earth using the 3rd button on the Google Earth Control and close the Google Earth split browser by clicking on the "x" on the split browser window.
Activate Google Earth
- Show the Google Earth Window (outside of OziExplorer).
- Work within Google Earth itself.
- To return to OziExplorer, minimize Google Earth or click on OziExplorer in the windows taskbar. Click on the button on the Google Earth Control to return to OziExplorer mode or the button to return to the Google Earth Mode
- The Google Earth Control Buttons
(Note: an explanation of the modes is above)
Switch to OziExplorer mode - Google Earth maps captured in OziExplorer
Switch to Google Earth mode - Google Earth running inside OziExplorer
Activate Google Earth - Google Earth running outside of OziExplorer
draw Screen - Redraws the screen if it has not refreshed properly. Sometimes an image of dialogs, menu or other windows remain on top of the map, these can be removed by pressing the redraw button.
Zoom In - Zooms Google Earth in to show more detail, click the button to zoom in.
Zoom Out - Zooms Google Earth out to show a wider view, click the button to zoom out.
Zooming can be done by various methods.
If OziExplorer has control zooming can be done by
- clicking on the zoom in and zoom out buttons on the Google Earth Control (seen above)
- clicking on the + and - buttons on the main OziExplorer toolbar (the zoom drop down combo box has no affect).
- clicking the + and - (or Page Up / Page Down) keys on the keyboard.
Google Earth Methods
By using the Google Earth controls.
NOTE: These Google Earth controls work in Google Earth mode, they do not work in OziExplorer mode.
"The RPC server is unavailable" - Occurs if Google Earth is shut down outside of OziExplorer. OziExplorer will close down Google Earth when a new map is loaded or OziExplorer is shut down. If Google Earth is closed down accidentally (not by OziExplorer), simply Load the Google Earth map again using the Load Map File or Open Recent Map menu option.
Saving of the Google Earth map is not possible.